Thursday, July 10, 2008

Summary Response 2

Most of Transportation is important for our life. it helps us to move from one place to another quickly. These days, the price of gas is high. So, we should choose a kind of transportation that costs us less. Lena Sun (June 3 2008), in “Travelers turn to public transit”, says increasing of the gas price is making Americans take public transportation. In addition, the gas price is changing Americans’ behavior for riding transportation. Furthermore, people in the USA are still using transportation despite the fact that the price is high; and this is the first time that we have faced this price. There is a relationship between the price of gas and the number of people who ride public transportation. In addition, the second most popular kind of public transportation that is used is commuter railing. Furthermore, the increasing use of public transportation is not only in the USA, but also in other countries.

In my opinion, people should deal with the high price of gas.

First, people should use cars that consume less gas. As we know, there are cars that consume a lot of gas such as GMC. On other hand, there a lot of cars that consume less gas such as Japanese or Korean cars. For example, in my home country I had both a Japanese car, which is called Cammry, and an American car, which is called GMC. The American car cost me almost $120 a month, but the Japanese car cost me almost $50 a month. So, there is a big difference.

Second, people should move to the small cities. Living in the big cities means you need a highway, cars and other transportation. But in small cities you may not need a car at all. For example, in my home country, most people have their own cars. So, when I came here to Carbondale, I was very worried because I did not have a car, and I wondered, how I could move from my home to other places such as a Mall and CESL. But when I rode a bus for the first time I liked it and they were very useful for me.

Third, people should encourage their government to adopt new ideas. In my home country most people rely on their own cars. So, most of them are not using public transportation such as buses and train. This is a government responsibility. It can make rules and new ideas that encourage people to use buses and other public transportation like trains.

Increasing gas prices are the main reason to make people use public transportation. But we can deal with that by using cars that consume less gas, or moving to the small cities or finding new ideas that the government should use to encourage people to use public transportation.

Reference:

Sun, L. (2008, June 3). Travelers turn to public transit. The Washington post. Retrieved on June 7, 2008 from Lexis Nexis.

No comments: